de Havilland DH-88 Comet Short Kit
The de Havilland DH-88 Comet was a purpose built racer for the England to Melbourne race. Three Comets were entered in the race, two finished placing first and fourth. The third racer, Black Magic, was leading the race when it burned up it’s engines after getting the wrong fuel in Allahabad. Apparently it was so far ahead of the pack, that their refueling crew did not expect them so early. The airfield crew on hand did not speak any English, and they put the wrong fuel in the plane. The Grosvener House went on to win the race.
We have enlarged the wing tips slightly and engineered in generous washout in the wings to make this one smooth performer. All other outlines are very scale. A built in hand grip aids in hand launches, or it can be fitted with retracts.
Originally featured in the April 2007 Model Airplane News, we are now able to provide full size plans and illustrated construction manual.
- Wing Span: 50"
- Length: 36"
- Wing Area: 300 sq. in.
- Weight: 32 oz.
- Wing Loading: 15.3 oz/sq.ft.
- Recommended Motors: 2 x 7.2V SP400
- Recommended Battery: 3S LiPo
- 5 Laser cut balsa and aircraft grade plywood sheets
- Vacuum formed canopy
- 2 Full size plan sheets
- Photo illustrated construction manual
- Vinyl decal set available from Vinyl Graphics by Greg (Order T&J Models Comet Grosvenor House, the Green One, or Black Magic)